The information cycle is the path that information typically takes when a particular topic or event emerges.
Let’s say an event happens…
- In minutes…. social media begins to spread information about the event
- In hours…. Broadcast media start to cover the story
- In days…. Print news begins to write about the developing story
- In weeks… Magazines publish in-depth articles about the event
- In months…. Academics publish insightful pieces in academic journals
- In years… Encyclopedias and other reference materials provide concise perspectives as established knowledge